- To all those who went to the National Cherry Festival, whether it was to volunteer, work or just have fun — we hope to see you again next year.
- To Sierra Moore, who on Friday was named the 2019-2020 National Cherry Queen.
- To the people of Fife Lake for their “Best Fourth in the North.” The town’s residents and hundreds of visitors lined State Street for Thursday’s parade, stopped into the downtown restaurants for a bite to eat and went for a swim in Fife Lake’s cool waters.
“Fife Lake has packed this town every Fourth of July,” said Jeff White, who emceed the parade for the sixth straight year and has been volunteering in the community for the past two decades. “The people are dedicated to coming here. I see people this weekend that I’ll only see this weekend — and that means something. It just keeps everybody connected.”
- To the Oleson Foundation. TART Trails recently received $5,000 for the Vasa Skills Building Trail and another $5,000 for the Boardman Lake Loop Trail from the Foundation.
TART Trails and the Northern Michigan Mountain Bike Association aim to create a 2-mile bike route for youth along the Vasa Pathway. The organization also plans to add native plants and grasses along the 5-mile Boardman Lake trail.
- To Westwoods Elementary School. TBA Credit Union completed the ninth year of its Student-Run Credit Union. Participating schools helped students save $11,554.33 this year. The school with the highest percentage of participation among TBA account holders was Westwoods.
Students operate branches at their respective schools. Student members can deposit money into youth accounts and/or apply for TBA membership without having to come into a branch. The program operates in 16 schools in northern Michigan.
To Aydrian and James Day. The two artists from Suttons Bay recently were recognized at the annual Eiteljorg Indian Market and Festival in Indiana in June. Aydrian Day received the Margot L. Eccles Youth Award for his beadwork jewelry “Galaxy.” James Day earned an award in the Best of Cultural Items category for his piece “Waabiigwanag.”