TRAVERSE CITY — Corrections officers and first responders revived a man after he stopped breathing in Grand Traverse County's jail during a suspected overdose.

It happened after Grand Traverse County sheriff's deputies arrested the 24-year-old Muskegon man earlier that day, along with a South Boardman woman, sheriff's Lt. Brian Giddis said. Both are suspected of drug-related crimes.

The man was in an observation cell as he awaited booking, said sheriff's Capt. Todd Ritter, the jail administrator. The woman sheriff's deputies arrested along with the man told investigators he may have used or swallowed drugs but she wasn't sure — the man denied he had done either, Ritter said.

Medical staff found the man had good vital signs, so corrections officers placed him back in the cell and checked him every 15 minutes, Ritter said. They noticed at about 7 p.m. that he was slumped over awkwardly and was no longer snoring. A check revealed he had a weak pulse and was struggling to breathe, so a sheriff's deputy and corrections officer hooked up an automated defibrillator and began CPR.

The man's heart and breathing stopped, but he came to after two doses of naloxone and several rounds of CPR, Ritter said. First responders had arrived by then.

Grand Traverse County sheriff's deputies had arrested the man at 11:40 a.m. that day after responding to a call of someone acting strangely in a car. He and the 34-year-old woman were parked at a fast food restaurant at Holiday Road and U.S. 31.

Giddis said the man had a scale with a powdery substance on it and the woman had used syringes with residue in them. Both substances were sent to a Michigan State Police lab in Grayling for testing, and results weren't back as of Wednesday.

Sheriff's deputies arrested both the man and woman on suspicion of drug and paraphernalia possession, Giddis said. They also suspected the man violated his bond and probation terms from a Muskegon court.

"It's really an ordinary arrest, except for the fact that later at the jail he fell ill," he said.

Traverse City Police investigated the incident at the jail, police Sgt. Matt Richmond said. They submitted a report to the Grand Traverse County Prosecutor for review.

Ritter said there's no indication the man brought anything with him into the jail, and a preliminary test showed he had a high dose of methamphetamine his system. He also tested positive for cocaine, marijuana and opiates.

The man was taken to Munson Medical Center for evaluation and was in good condition Wednesday, Ritter said.

Ritter said the incident is a perfect example of how the jail's system for monitoring and reacting to overdoses is supposed to work. He plans to nominate one or more of those involved for a lifesaving award.

"It's a good example of when someone's either intentionally or unintentionally done something that can hurt themselves, the system is in place to detect and prevent that from happening," he said.

Corrections officers stopped two inmates' suicide attempts in the jail in March — jail records and previous reporting shows jail staff reported more than 40 such attempts since 2011. Those in March came shortly after Mary Lucille Palmer died by suicide in the jail on Feb. 28, and less than a year after Alan Bradley Halloway's suicide inside the jail in July 2017.

Trending Video

Recommended for you