- Sixty students with Leelanau County lineage were awarded $1,000 scholarships at the 14th annual Ed & Irene Fleis Education Fund Spring Fling in May:
Shannon Popp, Alma College; Hanna Grant and Marie Krueger, Aquinas College; Anthony Evich, Ave Maria University; Camden Jakielek, Bowling Green State University; Brittany Bolger, Central Michigan University; Mason Bright, Collin County Community College; Caleb Francis, Colorado State University; Jonathan Mustard, Davenport University; Carrie Dunklow, Madison Leader, David Linguar, Kasidy Skipski and Abigail Weber, Ferris State University; Jacob Christensen, Grand Rapids Community College; Kody Galla, Kylie Galla, Abraham Gutzka, Ann-Marie Kabat, Damon Nelson, Michael Skipski and Bailey Strasler, Grand Valley State University; Mackenzie Steele, Indiana University; Spencer Crimmins and Kailey Mikowski, Lansing Community College; Jacob Dewey, Jessica Fleis, Jayce Konopka and Harrison Schaub, Michigan State University; Erik Halvorsen, Michigan Technological University; MacKenzy Galla, Northeastern University; Katrina Beaton, Kaylnn Britten, Adam Kabat, Justina May Schaub and Autumn Zywicki, Northwestern Michigan College; Hanna Cook, Savannah Technical School; Anastasia Evich and Therese Evich, Thomas Aquinas College; Olivia Wiltjer, Saginaw Valley State University; Richard Hintz, Simpson College; Joyana Tarsa, St. Norbert College; Ivy Rose Paxton, Tiffin University; Taylor Deatrick, Matthew Durocher, Joseph Hahnenberg and Sadie Murphy, undecided; Ryan Landers, University of Florida; Dylan Amaro, Emilia Butryn, Roger Crimmins, Joshua Dewey, Chiara Gerding, Carter Lee, William Lewellen, Kelsey Pease, Jayden Spencer and Talia Yaakoby, University of Michigan; Travis Wiltjer, University of Wisconsin; and Derrick Pearson, Valdosta State University.
- The following continues the list of students who graduated from Grand Valley State University in April:
Katherine R. Achenbach, Megan M. Alfonso, Zachary S. Baker, Ashlee M. Berger, Rachel Brow, Abigail J. Cartwright, Amy M. Cox, Lynn E. Doherty, Dillon A. Drossart, Paige D. Emmott, Kearsten N. Frusti, Katherine G. Gonzalez, Victoria K. Gortsema, Madison T. Graham, Aubrey L. Heersema, Kevin M. Kaysserian, Aubrey R. Krueger, Lauren E. Marsh, Sammie T. McClellan-Dyal, Hannah M. Mead, Stephanie R. Morton, Donna L. Rinker, Mariah J. Running, Morgan J. Scollard, Alexander C. Scott, Owen G. Stratton, Joseph R. Videki, Nicholas L. Wright and Anastasiya Zubaryeva, of Traverse City; and Andrew M. Dzierwa and Kailey J. Gehres, of Williamsburg.
- The following students earned degrees from Miami University in May:
- Katie Haan, of Harbor Springs; Jessica Pax, of Traverse City; Mary-Kate Rose, of Traverse City; and Nate Schwarz, of Lake Leelanau.
- Caleb Heimburger, of Traverse City, graduated from the University of Utah in May. He obtained a bachelor’s degree in kinesiology.
- Kieran Laursen and Charlotte Noble, of Traverse City, graduated from Lawrence University in spring 2019. Both also earned dean’s list recognition. Laursen received the Raney Prize in History and Phi Beta Kappa honors.