• Julie Burks, of the Dennis, Gartland and Niergarth accounting firm in Traverse City, recently completed the state requirements for becoming a certified public accountant. She joined the firm as an associate in June and works in the audit department and for the government/nonprofit industry team. She has a bachelor's of science degree in accounting from Ferris State University and an associate's degree from Northwestern Michigan College.
• Northwestern Bank promoted Katie Howard to assistant manager of its downtown office at 203 S. Union St. in Traverse City. She has worked for the bank for more than five years, most recently as senior personal banker for its Elk Rapids office.
• Several promotions and new hires were recently made at the Traverse Area District Library. New hires include Scott Morey as assistant director of technology for the library district. Morey holds a bachelor's degree from Central Michigan University and a master's from the University of Michigan-Flint. Amy Barritt and Brice Bush were hired as reference librarians in the adult services department. Barritt earned a degree from the University of Michigan's School of Information, where she worked in U-M's Bentley Historical Library, while Bush graduated with a master's degree in library and information science from Drexel University. Kristen Talaga was named the marketing and communications manager after working for Interlochen Center for the Arts.
Recent TADL promotions include Jill Porter to assistant director for public service. She has worked for the library since 2008 as law librarian and as head of adult services. Linda Smith was named teen services coordinator after serving as coordinator of the public computing center, while Anita Tobin was promoted from library aide to circulation supervisor at the main branch on Woodmere Avenue. Bruce Bennett was named facilities manager, after serving as circulation manager for the Woodmere branch.
• Justin Hollander, D.O., joined Munson Healthcare as an orthopedic surgery specialist working at Traverse City Orthopedics & Sports Medicine at 5246 N. Royal Drive. He graduated from Michigan State University's College of Osteopathic Medicine and completed his residency at Garden City Hospital in Michigan.
• Stephanie Woodfin, D.O., joined the staff at Munson Medical Center as a specialist in psychiatry. She's with Munson Behavioral Health Services at 420 Brook St. She is a graduate of Western University of Health Services in California and completed her residency at UCLA Medical Center.
• Pete Bigford has been named general manager and chief operating officer for Shanty Creek Resorts in Bellaire. A native of Niles, he has more than 20 years of experience in the resort and golf development industry and is a former executive at Copper Mountain Resort in Colorado.
• Ed Ness, president and CEO of Munson Healthcare and Munson Medical Center, was elected to the board of the Michigan Health and Hospital Association based in Lansing.