Traverse City Record-Eagle

Archive: Wednesday

February 12, 2014

Gas leak prompts school evacuation

TRAVERSE CITY — A gas leak prompted school officials to evacuate Fife Lake Elementary School today.

The school was evacuated around 1 p.m. after a crew repairing a broken water pipe struck a natural gas line on school property, said Fred Boss, the middle and high school principal of Forest Area Community Schools.

Boss called the evacuation "precautionary." He said school staff notified parents and transported the elementary school students to the district's high school, where they watched cartoons until they rode their regular buses home at the end of the day.

Boss said the gas line and water pipe are repaired and school should resume Thursday.

 

1
Text Only