Attic fire damages East Bay home
TRAVERSE CITY — A fire destroyed most of an East Bay Township home’s roof before firefighters extinguished the blaze.
Grand Traverse Metro Fire Department Assistant Chief Terry Flynn said a woman in the 2025 Roselawn Drive home awoke Sunday morning to a loud noise from the attic. He said it turned out to be a fire that smoldered beyond a home smoke detector’s range.
“She heard what sounded like snow coming off the roof, but a lot harder,” Flynn said.
The woman, a friend and one cat fled without injuries before firefighters arrived at about 6 a.m. Another cat found under a couch had to be revived with oxygen.
Flynn said firefighters got the fire under control in 30 minutes, but flames had consumed and heavily damaged the roof. He said a fire marshal determined the cause is most likely accidental.
“We got a point of origin and still have to find out exactly what the cause was,” Flynn said.