TRAVERSE CITY — Two Garfield Township families were displaced in an early morning fire.
Grand Traverse Metro Fire Department Assistant Chief Terry Flynn said a caller in a third-floor unit at Sugar Plum Apartments reported smelling smoke Wednesday at about 4 a.m.
Firefighters arriving on the scene reported seeing smoke coming from two apartments. Four Metro Fire stations and one Traverse City Fire Department unit had the fire under control in about 30 minutes. No one was injured.
Flynn said the apartments received moderate smoke damage and the two families will have to wait about two weeks to return to their homes. He said the fire appears to have originated near a ceiling fan in the bathroom in one of the apartments.
“We know what the origin is but we don’t know yet what caused it,” he said.