Traverse City Record-Eagle
---- — LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Michigan will receive $100 million from the federal government to tear down thousands of vacant houses and clean up struggling neighborhoods in Detroit and four other cities.
Gov. Rick Snyder says the pilot program addressing blight was approved Thursday by the U.S. Treasury Department.
The money comes from the Hardest Hit Fund and will be used in Detroit, Flint, Grand Rapids, Pontiac and Saginaw. The fund was created in 2010 to help states struggling through the economic and mortgage crisis.
U.S. Rep. Dan Kildee says it previously was unclear if state housing authorities could use the fund for residential demolitions.
Kildee, a Democrat from Flint, earlier this year asked Treasury officials to expand use of the money. He introduced a resolution to reallocate the funding.