Traverse City Record-Eagle

August 3, 2013

Officials: Mich. boy suffocated by plastic bag

Traverse City Record-Eagle

---- — HASTINGS, Mich. (AP) — Officials say a 3-year-old West Michigan boy accidentally suffocated himself with a plastic bag.

According to Michigan State Police, Joel Newton went to bed Monday with his 5-year-old brother. The two were playing when Joel placed a plastic bag over his head. reports Joel couldn't remove the bag, and his brother alerted their father, who performed CPR and called 911.

The Hastings boy died on Tuesday at a hospital.

WOOD-TV says authorities consider his death to be an accident and no foul play is suspected.