Traverse City Record-Eagle

Michigan

August 3, 2013

Officials: Mich. boy suffocated by plastic bag

HASTINGS, Mich. (AP) — Officials say a 3-year-old West Michigan boy accidentally suffocated himself with a plastic bag.

According to Michigan State Police, Joel Newton went to bed Monday with his 5-year-old brother. The two were playing when Joel placed a plastic bag over his head.

MLive.com reports Joel couldn't remove the bag, and his brother alerted their father, who performed CPR and called 911.

The Hastings boy died on Tuesday at a hospital.

WOOD-TV says authorities consider his death to be an accident and no foul play is suspected.

1
Text Only