Governor names six to review Detroit finances
DETROIT — Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder has appointed six people to conduct a 60-day review of Detroit's municipal finances and decide if the state should put an emergency manager in charge of its money.
State Treasury Department spokesman Terry Stanton says Snyder named the team members Tuesday. They include Treasurer Andy Dillon, who determined last week that Detroit was off track to close its budget deficit.
The city now is operating under a consent agreement with the state designed to head off the appointment of an emergency financial manager.
Alleged threat closes Thumb school district
CASS CITY — A Michigan school district in the Thumb has started the holiday break early after a student made a possible gun threat against an employee.
Tuscola County prosecutor Mark Reene said the threat was heard by other students last Wednesday. He said Cass City school administrators didn't learn about it until Saturday.
Cass City schools were supposed to be in session through Wednesday this week, but officials decided to cancel those class days. The prosecutor said no evidence has been obtained to corroborate the alleged threat by the student.
Cass City is 45 miles east of Bay City.
Teen who brought gun to school readmitted
ROSS TOWNSHIP — A Michigan school district is allowing a teen back in school, a year after he was caught with a loaded gun and 200 rounds of ammunition.
The school board in the Gull Lake district heard passionate pleas on both sides of the issue before voting to readmit the boy, who's 14. He will be enrolled in Gateway Academy, an alternative school, but will be banned from other school properties until 2014, TV station WWMT said.
Police say the boy brought a handgun and 200 rounds of ammunition to a middle school in November 2011 as part of a plan to run away with two classmates. The gun was found under rocks in the parking lot.
Flu closes L'Anse schools for three days
L'ANSE — Public school students in the Upper Peninsula village of L'Anse are getting three days off because of a flu outbreak.
The district closed shortly before noon Monday, according to the The Daily Mining Gazette of Houghton. Superintendent Ray Pasquali said about 30 percent of the elementary pupils were absent, along with about 20 percent of junior high and senior high students.
A number of staff members were also ill.
Pasquali said the district also was closed Tuesday and will be today. A school board meeting was canceled and varsity sporting events were postponed.
Classes are scheduled to be held Thursday and Friday before dismissing for the holiday break.
Caputo pleaded guilty, and Monroe County Circuit Judge Michael LaBeau is scheduled to sentence him Jan. 10.