Traverse City Record-Eagle

Archive: Saturday

May 10, 2014

Central Grade School principal resigns

TRAVERSE CITY — A Traverse City Area Public Schools principal will resign at the end of the school year, roughly four months after district administrators gave him a two-day suspension for using a school-issued cellphone to send a sexually explicit message to another principal.

Central Grade School Principal Bob Peters used a district-issued device to send a female TCAPS principal a text message with an "explicit sexual connotation" in February, TCAPS Executive Human Resources Director Christine Davis said.

Administrators suspended Peters without pay on Feb. 25 and 26 after the female principal reported the incident to district officials on Feb. 17.

Davis said Friday that Peters "resigned of his own accord." He'll remain Central Grade's principal until the end of the school year.

"We did not terminate him," Davis said.

Peters started working in education about 30 years ago. He's worked at TCAPS for 11 years, the last five of which he spent as Central's principal.

"He gave us notice that he's moving on to explore new opportunities," Davis said.

Peters declined comment Friday afternoon.

"You need to refer everything to Chris Davis at human resources, please," he said.

Davis said Peters' two-day suspension in February was appropriate punishment for the sexually explicit text message. She said district officials never previously received reports of Peters acting inappropriately.

The other principal who received the inappropriate message agreed with the suspension, Davis said.

"I believe the other principal said we acted immediately and appropriately when it was called to our attention," Davis said.

Davis added Peters' inappropriate actions stopped following the suspension.

Peters is a tenured teacher, meaning he could retain a teaching position at TCAPS if he was fired as an administrator.

Davis said Peters' resignation email, dated May 8, stated he intended to leave his post at the end of the school year. Davis said TCAPS officials had no reason to ask him to leave early.

Text Only