Traverse City Record-Eagle
---- — - Jessica Abfalter, 29, of Grayling, a member of NMC’s chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, the national honor society for two-year colleges, has been named a New Century Scholar and a Guistwhite Scholarship recipient. Nationwide, 20 Phi Theta Kappa members are selected as Guistwhite Scholarship recipients based on academic achievement, leadership accomplishment and engagement in Phi Theta Kappa programs.
As a Guistwhite Scholar, she will receive a $5,000 scholarship for her baccalaureate studies. She is also one of 50 community college students named as a 2013 New Century Scholar.
The New Century Scholars judges consider grades, leadership, activities and how community college students extend their intellectual talents beyond the classroom. As a New Century Scholar, Abfalter will receive a $2,000 scholarship.
- Kelly A. (Lamb) Hirko earned her Ph.D. in Public Health Administration (epidemiology) from the University of Michigan on April 27. She graduated from Traverse City West Senior High in 1998. She received her undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan in 2002 and completed her master’s program at Boston University. She is currently at Harvard University on a Fellowship. Kelly lives in Winchester, Mass., and is the daughter of Robert J. and Patricia Lamb, of Traverse City.
- The following local graduating seniors were named Kiwanis Club of Traverse City Students of the Month: MacKenzie Norconk and Dakota Martin, of St. Francis High School, Katherine Watson and William Tolan Lawrence, of Interlochen Arts Academy, Victoria Fisher, Kailey Brooke Mattarella, Cooper Macdonell, Andrew Bruning, Allyson Schultz and Alex Gill, of Traverse City Central High School, Zach Gilbert and Natalie Dyer, of Grand Traverse Academy, Justin Rohrback, of TBA Career-Tech Center and Suttons Bay High School, Abby Emerick, of TBA Career-Tech Center and Traverse City Central High School, Micah Weesner and Shaun Lathrop, of Kingsley High School, Ryan Kuhn, Janette Guba, Emma Talbot and Brad Richey, of Traverse City West High School.
- Michael T. Payne, of Traverse City Central High School, was recently awarded a $2,500 National Merit Scholarship from the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. National Merit $2,500 Scholarship winners are the finalists in each state judged to have the strongest combination of accomplishments, skills, and potential for success in rigorous college studies.
- Garrett Mackin, St. Mary School senior, took first place in the SkillsUSA State Leadership and Skills Conference and will now be competing at the national level in Kansas City. He competed in the photography competition against more than 20 other students from around the state.
- The Texas Exes awarded a scholarship to Interlochen Arts Academy student, Sarah Vogts. Fifteen entering freshmen from across the country were selected to receive the distinguished Forty Acres Scholarship. This is the third year for the flagship program administered by the Texas Exes, which is the premier full-ride, merit-based scholarship program for The University of Texas at Austin. Forty Acres Scholars receive a comprehensive financial package that covers tuition and mandatory fees, books and a living stipend.