BELLAIRE — Dr. Wilmer C. Glenny, 90, of Bellaire, passed away peacefully on June 24, 2014, at Meadow Brook Medical Care Facility. Bill or “Doc,” as known to most, was born on Dec. 21, 1923, in Rockford, Ill., the son of Percy and Mamie (Bertchie) Glenny.
After graduating from West High School, Rockford, Ill., in 1942, he began his college education at Beloit College in Beloit, Wis. After one year, he left college to serve our country in World War II as a medic in the 44th Infantry Division, 119th Medical Battalion. Before leaving for the war, he married his high school sweetheart, Clara Lou Stiles. They were married for 62 years at the time of her death in 2006.
After serving in France, Austria and Germany, Bill returned and resumed his education.
He received his degree and then taught math and science at Winslow High School for two years.
His experiences during the war gave him the desire to become a physician. After graduating from Kirksville College of Osteopathy and Surgery in 1954 and upon completing an internship in Traverse City, he started his medical practice in Bellaire. He loved being a doctor and serving the community at his Bellaire Clinic and later as a part of Burns Clinic until he retired in 1988. Even in retirement, he continued to see patients in the summer for the next 10 years.
He was an FAA flight examiner for more than 25 years and was honored to be an assistant clinical professor for Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine.
Bill had a love of music. He started singing in high school and continued being a member of various choirs throughout his life. He also played the tuba and string bass with bands in Charlevoix and East Jordan well into his 80s. Bill was a member of “Windjammers,” an international organization of musicians who gathered twice a year to perform, record and preserve traditional circus music. While in Sarasota, Fla., he played with the Shriners Band.