CEDAR — Marie M. Skeba, 88, of Cedar, passed away Saturday, Feb. 23, 2013, at Orchard Creek Supportive Care.
Marie was born July 3, 1924, in Cedar, the daughter of Florian and Regina (Galla) Czerniak. On Sept 4, 1944, at the Holy Rosary Church in Isadore, she married her husband of 63 years, Edward J. Skeba, who preceded her in death on April 27, 2008.
Marie was a lifelong member of Holy Rosary Church, graduated school from Holy Rosary and married at Holy Rosary.
She liked sports, especially the Lions, Tigers and Pistons. She and Ed enjoyed fishing together. Marie enjoyed playing cards games euchre and pepper with family and friends. She was a great cook even though she didn’t like to cook.
Marie spent a lifetime working very hard on the family farm with her husband. She was a lady of hard work, family and faith.
The family would like to thank the staff of Orchid Creek Supportive Care for their compassionate care of our mother.
Marie is survived by her two children, Betty Lou (Linus) Laskey, of Cedar, and Edward Daniel (Ricarda) Skeba, of Cedar; her siblings, Tom, Joe and Florian Czerniak Jr., Clara Whitman, Martha Schaub and Louise Nemeskal; four grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her husband; a brother, Claude Czerniak; and a sister, Agnes Mikowski.
Visitation will be held from 4 to 8 p.m., with a rosary recitation/wake service at 7 p.m., today, Feb. 27, at the Martinson Funeral Home of Suttons Bay. The Mass will be held at 11 a.m. on Thursday, Feb. 28, at Holy Rosary Church of Isadore. Burial will be announced in the spring in Mt. Calvary Cemetery in Isadore. Father Donald Libby will serve as celebrant.
Memorials may be directed to Shining Forth, Holy Rosary Restoration Project, 6982 S. Schomberg Road, Cedar, MI 49621; The Father Fred Foundation, PO Box 2260, Traverse City, MI 49685; and/or Mass Intentions.
Please share thoughts and memories with Marie’s family on their online guestbook at www.record-eagle.com/obituaries/.
Arrangements are with the Martinson Funeral Home of Suttons Bay.