SUTTONS BAY — Mathilda Emily Anne (Schlueter) Martinson, 98, of Suttons Bay, passed away Thursday, April 3, 2014, at Munson Hospice House. Millie was born Oct. 22, 1915, on the Schlueter family farm. She was the daughter of John Henry and Rosa (Hohnke) Schlueter.
On March 24, 1936, at the First Lutheran Church of Suttons Bay, she married her loving husband of 62 years, Raymond Wellington Martinson, who preceded her in death on Nov. 25, 1998. She was still using their treasured heirloom wedding trousseau suite from Schenectady until her passing.
A true daughter of Leelanau, she was born, raised and spent her entire life in the county. She was confirmed at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church of Good Harbor and was a member of First Lutheran in Suttons Bay.
Her life was well-lived and spanned the horse and buggy to today’s modern era. Millie attended the Martin School on Amore Road during the one-room school house era. As there weren’t enough skis between her and her siblings they would each ski on a single homemade ski down the hills from their farmhouse to attend school.
A spirited and slightly mischievous young lady, Millie would disassemble and reassemble her parents’ alarm clocks and once when she was 13, Millie and a cohort “borrowed” a relative’s car and drove to Traverse City - teaching herself the rules of the road as she went. An enterprising young lady she and her sister, Tillie, installed a gas pump at the Schlueter family farm and sold gas to the area farmers.
To pursue high school at the newly created Leland Public High School, Millie moved into Leland to live with her grandmother, Otilla (Otto) Hohnke. In those days girls were required to wear skirts and she often dreaded the cold winter trek from her grandmother’s house on Christmas Tree Corner to school as the winds off of Lake Michigan almost blew her over the bridge.