Traverse City Record-Eagle

Archive: Monday

May 13, 2013

News from 100 Years Ago: 05/13/2013

WANTED — Twenty boys and girls over the age of 16. Apply at office of City Chair Co.

The fire department was called out this morning for a bad chimney fire at the home of John Nesbitt, 418 West Seventh Street. No damage was done.

The eighth annual concert given by the pupils of the high school will be given this evening in the City Opera House. This will be under the direction of Miss Ethel Gibbs, director of music, and assisted by Mrs. C.H. Irving and Robert Edwards. The special feature will be cantata, “On Shore and Sea,” and the members of the school. Much time has been spent to make this the best entertainment ever given by the schools

M.D. Mendenhall of Hatches Crossing found one chick having four natural legs. It is a lively one and eats and hops around as spry as any of the rest.

For Sale — New milch cow: eggs for hatching from Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds and White Orpingtons. Phone Citz. 1333-11-1s. E.P. Gray, R.R. No. 1

Wanted — Place for boy, 15 years old, where he can work and go to school. Apply to Miss Knee, Board of Associated Charities.

School Building-Traverse City, Mich., May 7, 1913. Sealed proposals will be received by the Board of Education of Traverse City, Mich., up to 3:30 o’clock p.m., May 21st, 1913, standard time, for the erection and completion of the general construction of a two-story and basement brick school building, according to plans and specifications furnished for the same by F.E. Moore, architect.

The six-year-old daughter of Fred Campeau of Long Lake was run over by a heavy wagon, breaking her left thigh. The child will be confined to the house for some time.

SELL OUT LIVERY-Morgan Estate will sell whole outfit. The B.J. Morgan estate is going out of the livery business and the whole outfit has been placed on the market. The buildings will however continue as a sale and feed stable. The reason for selling out the business is that Theron Morgan intends to devote his entire time to the fruit farm. The Morgan barn was established in 1869 by the late B.J. Morgan, and is the pioneer livery of the city. At the time it was established, the outfit consisted of four horses and two buggies, which were rented out to the people in those early days. The business prospered and was added to until it is at present the largest stable of its kind in this part of the state.

The History Center of Traverse City researches and provides this column.

1
Text Only

Facebook
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
Associated Press Video