TRAVERSE CITY — Several area educators are being recognized for outstanding work.
The Outstanding Educator Award, sponsored by the Traverse Bay Area Intermediate School District, the Traverse City Area Chamber of Commerce and TBA Credit Union, is given annually to a handful of public, private and parochial educators in the Grand Traverse region.
Students, parents and colleagues nominate individuals for the award, and a committee comprised of employees from the three sponsoring groups evaluates the nominees before selecting the winners.
“Passionate dedication to students within the district or region, that’s the top priority,” TBAISD Superintendent Mike Hill said.
The following individuals won the award this year:
• Dave Clark, TBAISD school psychologist;
• Don Freed, Traverse City Area Public Schools Central High School counselor;
• Marge Gatzke, TCAPS Interlochen Elementary School kindergarten teacher;
• Shane Harrison, Pathfinder School science teacher;
• Monique Mansfield, TBAISD school-based occupational therapist;
• Ginny Newman, Grand Traverse Area Catholic Schools St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Middle School counselor;
• Marci Perthes, TCAPS East Middle School counselor;
• Kim Prisk; TCAPS West Senior High School business and accounting teacher;
• Margie Tropf, Northport Public School kindergarten teacher;
• Fred Wille, Suttons Bay Public Schools teacher consultant.
Winners will be honored at a ceremony at Traverse City’s City Opera House June 5. The ceremony starts at 7 p.m. and is open to the public.