Traverse City Record-Eagle

January 29, 2013

Letters to the Editor: 01/29/2013


---- —

Abortion not first choice

Due to the Dec. 29 article "County officials block Planned Parenthood grant request" and the Jan. 20 letter to the editor from Ms. Neumann, I feel I need to show my support for Planned Parenthood and the women of this country.

The deplorable "they kill babies" quotes of the commissioners about Planned Parenthood are both ignorant and slanderous. Yes, 334,000 abortions in 2010-2011, as Ms. Neumann stated in her letter to the editor, which she failed to mention is less than 5 percent of their services, the other 95 percent of services were for contraception, treatment and tests for sexually transmitted diseases, cancer screening and other women's health services.

Planned Parenthood is there to help prevent unwanted pregnancies by offering free or inexpensive health care to women (and men). Clearly, abortion is not their first choice in medical care.

Stop using religious beliefs to tell other people what to do with their bodies. The fact that women today have this right to choose what we can do with our bodies is something women before us only dreamed about.

Here's a thought: If you are against abortions, then don't have an abortion.

Kira Denison

Traverse City

Use barn for Artcenter

I am writing to express my support for using the historic barn on the old State Hospital property as a home for Traverse City Artcenter activities.

The Artcenter is a valuable local resource and it provides excellent opportunities for a wide variety of arts, artists and art lovers.

The historic barn would be a fantastic facility for the Artcenter and it would showcase community support for local artistic talent.

It would also be an outstanding setting for art instruction and display.

I can think of no better long-term use for the barn than as a new home for the Artcenter.

Douglas Barrett

Traverse City

Maybe didn't have time

Gov. Snyder has given business interests a lot of help by way of tax relief, "right-to-work," etc. Now he would like to fix up some roads and bridges.

Why does he not ask his business friends to pick up the tab for these projects instead of sticking it to the little guy who has to pay at the pump every week?

Maybe he didn't have time to mention this idea in his hour-long State-of-the-State speech. Too bad.

Harriet Harper

Traverse City

Be informed

A Jan. 21 letter published in the Record-Eagle criticized President Obama and Vice President Biden for "their lack of action on the problem of federal spending/debt." I write not in support of Republicans or Democrats but rather to shed a little sunshine on the issue of government spending.

The U.S. Constitution provides the president cannot make laws or decide how federal money will be spent. The president cannot spend money unless the expenditure has been approved by the House and Senate. Congress writes laws, authorizes spending, levies taxes and approves borrowing of money.

Just 8 percent think Congress is doing a good job (they spend the money) and another found that 80 percent believe Congress was more interested in serving special interests than those they represent.

If you want to see who your member(s) of the U.S. House or Senate will support, go to the internet, type in the name of the member of Congress plus donor (example: Dave Camp donors or Dan Benishek donors) and press enter. You will be directed to a site published by and will find a list of the member's major donors. Forget partisanship; be informed.

Roger Parkins

Suttons Bay