Traverse City Record-Eagle
— An honor, not a career
Under the proposed Congressional Reform Act and constitutional amendment, members of Congress:
1. Collect a salary while in office and receive no pay when they are out of office; no tenure/no pension.
2. Past, present and future participate in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and members of Congress participate with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
3. Can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
4. Will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of the Consumeer Price Index or 3 percent.
5. Will lose their current health care system and participate in the same health care system as the American people.
6. Must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective - the American people did not make this contract with Congressmen.
Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serving their terms, then going back to work.