Traverse City Record-Eagle

Your Views

May 29, 2012

Letter to the Editor: 05/29/2012

See how you can help

I want to say how proud I am of our community. I think back on how the community came together to help the Humane Society when it was in need.

Now I see our elderly coming under financial duress. The Grand Traverse County Commission on Aging helps many of our elderly residents with home cleaning, yard maintenance, home health care, respite care and many other needs. It now seems, due to a decrease in funding, that the commission may be forced to increase the fees they charge. This will cause further financial burden for our elderly who depend on the commission's services.

The commission has a scholarship fund that helps elderly who are in most financial need. Let's help our elderly. You can call (231) 922-4688 to help, or mail the Grand Traverse County Commission on Aging, 520 W. Front St., Traverse City, MI 49684. All contributions are tax deductible. There are 90,000 of us in this county. If we each gave one dollar, think of all the help we would be giving.

Please see how you can help after reading this, and talk with your neighbors to see how they too might help our elderly.

Carmien Goggin

Traverse City

Text Only