Traverse City Record-Eagle

Latest News - Mobile

February 11, 2013

GT County man who received steroid injection dies

TRAVERSE CITY - A Grand Traverse County man who received a contaminated steroid injection is dead, and authorities are trying to determine if the death is related to the injection.

Angela Minicuci, a public information officer with the Michigan Department of Community Health, said the 73-year-old died late last week. Minicuci confirmed the man received a contaminated steroid injection that’s been linked to a national outbreak of fungal meningitis.

Further details on the victim were not released because of privacy laws, Minicuci said.

Contaminated steroid injections are suspected in the deaths of 13 Michiganders and about 244 cases of fungal infections.

Text Only