Traverse City Record-Eagle

February 14, 2013

Fire at Duck Lake apartment


---- — INTERLOCHEN — Fire ravaged a seasonal rental apartment.

Firefighters were called to the residence at 4333 Lake Ave., off Duck Lake, on Thursday shortly after 9 a.m.

Crews arrived to find the home in flames and nearly destroyed, said Michael Stinson, acting chief of Grand Traverse Rural Fire Department.

Stinson said reporting of the blaze may have been delayed because the structure “sits back off the main drag.”

“We responded in a timely manner. It was already burned right down when we arrived,” he said.

No one was inside at the time of the fire. Stinson said the owner lives out of town.

The residential structure sat overtop a boathouse or storage area on the beach, Stinson said.

Initial investigation didn’t yield any indication as to what sparked the fire, Stinson said. An investigation is ongoing.

Stinson said he only briefly talked with the homeowner and did not know the residence’s value.

Blair, Green Lake, Long Lake, Inland and Almira townships assisted in fighting the blaze.