Traverse City Record-Eagle

April 8, 2013

Homeowner narrowly escapes gunfire in shooting


---- — GRAWN — Gunfire interrupted Lance Reed as he stood in the kitchen at his Grawn mobile home.

He hit the ground, and he's glad he did. If he'd been a bit closer to his refrigerator Reed thinks he'd have been hit by one of the four bullets that whizzed through his Sunburst Street home on Sunday.

"I would've stepped one foot right here, the bullet would’ve got me," Reed said, pointing to where a bullet went through his refrigerator and lodged in a cupboard. "I’m just glad ... I didn’t die."

Another bullet ricocheted across the living room, and two went through the roof.

Authorities on Sunday arrested a man, 50, who lived across the street from Reed and who is accused of sparking an exchange of gunshots with deputies. No one was injured.

Deputies responded to the 1600 block of Sunburst Street after a caller reported hearing gunshots.

Deputies formed a perimeter and made phone contact with a man inside.

That man exited the home and as authorities detained him, the suspect came out to the porch and fired at deputies with a semi-automatic rifle. A few deputies and a Department of Natural Resources conservation officer were in his line of fire, Sheriff Tom Bensley said. No one was hit.

A deputy returned fire. The suspect retreated to the mobile home, from where he was ordered out.

Michigan State Police are handling the investigation. Lt. David Street said the suspect suffered a broken leg as authorities apprehended him, and he is receiving treatment at Munson Medical Center.

Street said alcohol was involved in the incident. The investigation is in the infancy stages, he said.

Bensley said the people involved are a man and his step-son.

Reed said the suspect's mobile home has been "trouble."

"There’s always police and ambulances over there all the time, at least for the last year and a half," Reed said.

His wife, Cheryl, who was in the bedroom when the shooting happened, is afraid to answer the door now.

"I'm ready to sell this house," she said.

Reed laughed as he talked about having to patch bullet holes and replace the refrigerator. The Reeds are thankful no one was injured, and that their son and grandchildren weren't home at the time.

"My grandkids were coming over to see me," Cheryl Reed said. "I'm so glad they didn't come."

The suspect faces multiple felony charges and awaits arraignment in 86th District Court.