- Traverse Bay Area Intermediate School District Career-Tech Center Agriscience/Natural Resources program entered a winning team into the National Future Farmers of America Organization’s veterinary science competition. The CTC team placed fifth overall out of 90 teams at the event. Individually, CTC students Sierra Sizen took 16th place and Anna Clouse took 18th place out of more than 300 participants. The FFA veterinary science contest tests students on technical knowledge and practical skills in the field of veterinary science, such as medicine dosage, restraint techniques, lab tests, and patient records management.
- 18-year-old percussionist Noah McKee, from Traverse City, appeared on the June 25 episode of “From the Top,” the hit National Public Radio radio program featuring America’s best young classical musicians, hosted by acclaimed pianist Christopher O’Riley. McKee attends Interlochen Arts Academy, where he studies with John Alfieri. He plays in a percussion ensemble and orchestra at school as well as studying Timpani, percussion, and classical guitar.
- Cadet Jason Roy Steimel, son of Allen and Marjorie Steimel, of Suttons Bay, graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y. Steimel graduated from Suttons Bay High School in 2008. While at West Point, he concentrated his studies in Human Geography. He was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army within the Military Intelligence branch and will report to Fort Lewis, Wash., for his first assignment.
- St. Mary School announced its Principal’s Award recipients: Taylor Moore, Rachael Schaub, and Ben Bardenhagen. These three students received a plaque and their names will be added to the list of past recipients on a larger plaque that is displayed in the school lobby.
Community in Brief: 12/08/2013
"Cabin Fever" artist talk; Bayside Travellers dance; Betsie Valley Library open house; and more.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 12/07/2013
Child care for holiday shoppers; old-time country dance.Continued ...
Education Newsmakers: 12/07/2013
The following local graduating seniors were named Kiwanis Club of Traverse City Students of the Month:Continued ...
Community in Brief: 12/06/2013
Torch Lake Association party; ISEA Great Lakes Seminar; and more.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 12/05/2013
Visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus at GT Resort; Cottage Coffee program; "Meet Mr. Dickesn"; and more.Continued ...
- Wednesday, December 4, 2013
Community in Brief: 12/04/2013
Peace Corps get-together; GARSP group meets; visit with Santa in Kingsley; and more.Continued ...
- Tuesday, December 3, 2013
Community in Brief: 12/03/2013
Merry Marketplace; Cookie Extravaganza; Art lecture. (Plus more)Continued ...
- Monday, December 2, 2013
Northern Notes: Decorate Interlochen Mitten Tree
The Holiday Mitten Tree is up at the Interlochen Public Library, 9700 Riley Road, and ready to be decorated with new mittens, scarves and hats.Continued ...
Service News: 12/02/2013
Air Force Airman Ben Kubesh graduated from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, San Antonio, Texas.Continued ...
- Saturday, November 30, 2013
Community in Brief 12/01/2013
Holiday art programs; Bear Lake's Sparkle in the Park; Christmas Village opens; and more.Continued ...
Community in Brief 12/03/2013
Extreme Precision Make-Over nominations sought; garden club meets for lunch; qualifying Lego tournament; and more.Continued ...
- Friday, November 29, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/29/2013
Library hosts P.J. Parrish; Community Film Series continues; history group potluck; and more.Continued ...
Community in Brief 11/30/2013
Pancake dinner; nutrition seminar; holiday concerts; Benzie Community Emergency Response Team re-organizing; and more.Continued ...
Community in Brief 11/29/2013
Holiday ornament workshop; Grand Traverse Academy concerts; Interlochen hosts children's party; and more.Continued ...
- Thursday, November 28, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/28/2013
Sale at St. Vincent de Paul; Samba drumming class; Holiday events; Aging Commission meets; Grand Traverse Dems meet; and more.Continued ...
- Wednesday, November 27, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/27/2013
Thanksgiving meal; authors support indie book store; senior food drive; and more.Continued ...
- Tuesday, November 26, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/26/2013
"Stop Senior Hunger" food drive; "Share and Learn" party at Grow Benzie; Commission on Aging meets; and more.Continued ...
- Monday, November 25, 2013
Northern Notes: Carrier goes 'above and beyond'
Traverse City resident thanks Record-Eagle carrier for his help.Continued ...
Service News: 11/25/2013
Army National Guard Pvt. Mark Send graduated from basic combat training at Fort Jackson, Columbia, S.C.Continued ...
- Sunday, November 24, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/24/2013
Holiday culinary and art classes; "Jazzy Christmas" concert; Northport welcomes the holiday season; and more.Continued ...
- Saturday, November 23, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/23/2013
Youth roller derby program; Christmas tree sales; St. Andrew Society celebration; and more.Continued ...
Education Newsmakers: 11/23/2013
The following area students graduated from Western Michigan University in the summer of 2013:Continued ...
- Thursday, November 21, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/21/2013
Christmas trees; St. Andrew Society; ‘Share and Learn.’ (Plus more)Continued ...
- Wednesday, November 20, 2013
Community in Brief 11/20/2013
Oryana suggests an organic holiday; Onekama welcomes Christmas season; church service and Thanksgiving potluck; and more.Continued ...
- Monday, November 18, 2013
Community Newsmakers: 11/18/2013
Community newsmaker for 11/18/13Continued ...
- Community in Brief: 12/08/2013