- Routine business occupied the attention of the council last Monday night at the regular meeting. The feature of the session was the large number of petitions that were sent in by citizens in different parts of the city who wanted many things seen to that have been neglected.
- Miss Helen Hannen, violinist Miss Mary Kellogg, pianist and W. Ogden Johnson, celloist left yesterday for Neahtawanta where they will furnish music at the hotel for the summer. This combination makes one of the best three-piece orchestras to be procured. It goes without saying that the resorters may look forward to some good music.
- Grand Rapids and Indiana Engine No. 124 northbound from Cadillac to Petoskey, crashed into the rear of a double header extra freight, inside the Fife Lake city limits Saturday morning. The brakeman who was riding the pilot jumped off the car as did the fireman whose leg was broken above the knee. The fracture was reduced by a physician.
- George Weaver, C. Peck and Will Gilde returned home Saturday after having served on jury duty here. They were seated for three weeks and heard testimony in a half dozen cases.
- A case of extra fine strawberries donated to the cause of development by William Heimforth of Elmwood Township, has been put in glass by the western Michigan Development bureau. These will be kept until the fruit shows this fall and then put upon display that the people of the world may know what fine fruit grows in western Michigan.
- One of the petitions sent to the council to be considered at the last session was a request of Stephen McGarry to be allowed to cut the hay on the property of the Queen City Electric Light and Power plant. It was referred to the committee on ways and means.
- Traverse City can show some products of the soil as well as the much-lauded and famous peninsula and surrounding country. Herman Yorks, at 1058 Webster Street, dug some new potatoes today, one of which measured 7 1/2 inches in circumference.
- George Eddy of Rockford who has been at Pankops Corners for the past two months looking after Mr. Squires’ interests at that place went home Tuesday. He will spend a couple weeks’ vacation there before return to the Corners.
- Miss Clara Thomas, who has been in Loveland, Colorado for the past few years, arrived home Friday and will spend the summer with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Thomas of Northport. She will return to Colorado in September.
- Saturday evening, the Grand Traverse Rebecca Lodge No. 192 I. O. O. F. met for the regular season and elected officers for all assignments. The work of installation was given by B. D. P. Martha Hornsby and Grand Marshall Mary Lotharins.
- Charles Wiles, formerly of this city, died at the Soldiers’ Home in Grand Rapids Wednesday. He is the father of Mrs. J. J. Shier of this city.
- Advice on deportment. It is as unbecoming for a gentleman to sit with legs crossed as it is a lady.
- Medical advice of a century ago. In a general way, having no longer an active life to lead, the aged need merely a diet of maintenance.
Best buy of the week. Long silk gloves, half off at The Barney Co.
Community in Brief: 12/06/2013
Torch Lake Association party; ISEA Great Lakes Seminar; and more.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 12/05/2013
Visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus at GT Resort; Cottage Coffee program; "Meet Mr. Dickesn"; and more.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 12/04/2013
Peace Corps get-together; GARSP group meets; visit with Santa in Kingsley; and more.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 12/03/2013
Merry Marketplace; Cookie Extravaganza; Art lecture. (Plus more)Continued ...
Northern Notes: Decorate Interlochen Mitten Tree
The Holiday Mitten Tree is up at the Interlochen Public Library, 9700 Riley Road, and ready to be decorated with new mittens, scarves and hats.Continued ...
Service News: 12/02/2013
Air Force Airman Ben Kubesh graduated from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, San Antonio, Texas.Continued ...
- Saturday, November 30, 2013
Community in Brief 12/01/2013
Holiday art programs; Bear Lake's Sparkle in the Park; Christmas Village opens; and more.Continued ...
Community in Brief 12/03/2013
Extreme Precision Make-Over nominations sought; garden club meets for lunch; qualifying Lego tournament; and more.Continued ...
- Friday, November 29, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/29/2013
Library hosts P.J. Parrish; Community Film Series continues; history group potluck; and more.Continued ...
Community in Brief 11/30/2013
Pancake dinner; nutrition seminar; holiday concerts; Benzie Community Emergency Response Team re-organizing; and more.Continued ...
Community in Brief 11/29/2013
Holiday ornament workshop; Grand Traverse Academy concerts; Interlochen hosts children's party; and more.Continued ...
- Thursday, November 28, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/28/2013
Sale at St. Vincent de Paul; Samba drumming class; Holiday events; Aging Commission meets; Grand Traverse Dems meet; and more.Continued ...
- Wednesday, November 27, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/27/2013
Thanksgiving meal; authors support indie book store; senior food drive; and more.Continued ...
- Tuesday, November 26, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/26/2013
"Stop Senior Hunger" food drive; "Share and Learn" party at Grow Benzie; Commission on Aging meets; and more.Continued ...
- Monday, November 25, 2013
Northern Notes: Carrier goes 'above and beyond'
Traverse City resident thanks Record-Eagle carrier for his help.Continued ...
Service News: 11/25/2013
Army National Guard Pvt. Mark Send graduated from basic combat training at Fort Jackson, Columbia, S.C.Continued ...
- Sunday, November 24, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/24/2013
Holiday culinary and art classes; "Jazzy Christmas" concert; Northport welcomes the holiday season; and more.Continued ...
- Saturday, November 23, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/23/2013
Youth roller derby program; Christmas tree sales; St. Andrew Society celebration; and more.Continued ...
Education Newsmakers: 11/23/2013
The following area students graduated from Western Michigan University in the summer of 2013:Continued ...
- Thursday, November 21, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/21/2013
Christmas trees; St. Andrew Society; ‘Share and Learn.’ (Plus more)Continued ...
- Wednesday, November 20, 2013
Community in Brief 11/20/2013
Oryana suggests an organic holiday; Onekama welcomes Christmas season; church service and Thanksgiving potluck; and more.Continued ...
- Monday, November 18, 2013
Community Newsmakers: 11/18/2013
Community newsmaker for 11/18/13Continued ...
Northern Notes: Vets, military receive acts of kindness
Sean Mugerian , a Traverse City resident and a student at Lake Superior State University, also serves with the 182nd reserve unit out of Traverse City. After weekend training recently, he and a fellow soldier, both still in uniform, were joined by thContinued ...
- Sunday, November 17, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/17/2013
Vision therapy presentation; pottery artist gives talk; Scandinavian Luncheon and Bazaar; and more.Continued ...
- Saturday, November 16, 2013
Community in Brief 11/18/2013
Holiday stories and craft; Benzie sixth-grade musical; Clean Water group meets; International Affairs Forum; and more.Continued ...
- Community in Brief: 12/06/2013