- Friday afternoon, Mrs. David H. Murphy narrowly escaped with her life in an automobile accident. Her leg was broken jut below the knee and the back of her head cut, in addition to other injuries. The car, driven by Rev. W. H. Herbert, was driving along State Street, going east when he came upon Mrs. Murphy and a couple of other ladies who were crossing the street. In trying to dodge them, Mr. Herbert turned his car to the right and Mrs. Murphy, stepped in his way.
- Mrs. Ada Bradley, a patient at the Traverse City State Hospital, met death Saturday in the reservoir back of the building which is used by the institution for fire protection. Mrs. Bradley's ailment was a mild form of dementia and had been allowed freedom of the grounds for the benefit of her health, but eluded her companions.
- John Hoxsie of Acme Township, one of the pioneer residents of the county, is a candidate for county treasurer at the coming primaries. Mr. Hoxsie is one of the best known citizens of the region and has always taken an active part in the development of the region. His experience in life has been along lines that particularly fit him for the position.
- Capt. E. N. Emery left this afternoon for Harbor Springs where he has secured another boat to run between Old Mission, Omena and Traverse City. The boat is the Petosega which has been plying among the region's lakeside ports.
- There was a good attendance at the meeting of the Grand Traverse County Grange held in the Grant Township hall Wednesday. Grangers from Summit, Williamsburg, Peninsula, Silver Lake and Grand Traverse were in attendance. After a noon feast in the banquet hall, the business of the Grange was taken up and followed by a social time.
- W. E. Williams, the well known manufacturer, announces himself as a candidate for the nomination for Judge of Probate and has started his campaign in earnest. One thing that particularly qualifies him for the position is the fact that he was for several years, a practicing attorney in the state of Pennsylvania.
- The eight-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Loyal Scutt ran a fish hook in his foot while walking along the Boardman riverbank Friday afternoon. The injury is a very painful one although not considered serious.
- n George Rose, formerly of McBain, has purchased the stock of general merchandise known as the Gilbert Cash Store at Beulah. He will continue the business along the same lines.
- Next week the commencement exercises at the Benzonia Academy will take place along with many elaborate events for the entertainment of the hundreds of visitors who will attend. The school is taking high rank among the educational institutions of the state and the class this year is an unusually large one.
- Resorters are streaming into the lake areas of Benzie County and the indications are that this will be the most successful year that had ever been known since becoming an outing center. All available cottages have been taken and many new ones will be built to take care of the increased business.
- An ice cream social was held at the Gunton schoolhouse Friday evening, the proceeds of which are to go toward paying for the new organ which has been recently installed. A great number were present and did full justice to the refreshments that were served. Several selections were very skillfully rendered by Miss Daisy Buell who also played several good old-fashioned songs in which everyone present joined.
- Advice on deportment. Beware of meddlers and tale bearers.
- Medical advice of a century ago. Don't worry, it ages yourself and all your friends.
- Best buy of the week. Buick Model 29, A Happy Medium in Power, Price and Size, $1250 F. O. B. Flint, W. R. Good Garage.
Community in Brief: 12/07/2013
Child care for holiday shoppers; old-time country dance.Continued ...
Education Newsmakers: 12/07/2013
The following local graduating seniors were named Kiwanis Club of Traverse City Students of the Month:Continued ...
Community in Brief: 12/06/2013
Torch Lake Association party; ISEA Great Lakes Seminar; and more.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 12/05/2013
Visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus at GT Resort; Cottage Coffee program; "Meet Mr. Dickesn"; and more.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 12/04/2013
Peace Corps get-together; GARSP group meets; visit with Santa in Kingsley; and more.Continued ...
- Tuesday, December 3, 2013
Community in Brief: 12/03/2013
Merry Marketplace; Cookie Extravaganza; Art lecture. (Plus more)Continued ...
- Monday, December 2, 2013
Northern Notes: Decorate Interlochen Mitten Tree
The Holiday Mitten Tree is up at the Interlochen Public Library, 9700 Riley Road, and ready to be decorated with new mittens, scarves and hats.Continued ...
Service News: 12/02/2013
Air Force Airman Ben Kubesh graduated from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, San Antonio, Texas.Continued ...
- Saturday, November 30, 2013
Community in Brief 12/01/2013
Holiday art programs; Bear Lake's Sparkle in the Park; Christmas Village opens; and more.Continued ...
Community in Brief 12/03/2013
Extreme Precision Make-Over nominations sought; garden club meets for lunch; qualifying Lego tournament; and more.Continued ...
- Friday, November 29, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/29/2013
Library hosts P.J. Parrish; Community Film Series continues; history group potluck; and more.Continued ...
Community in Brief 11/30/2013
Pancake dinner; nutrition seminar; holiday concerts; Benzie Community Emergency Response Team re-organizing; and more.Continued ...
Community in Brief 11/29/2013
Holiday ornament workshop; Grand Traverse Academy concerts; Interlochen hosts children's party; and more.Continued ...
- Thursday, November 28, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/28/2013
Sale at St. Vincent de Paul; Samba drumming class; Holiday events; Aging Commission meets; Grand Traverse Dems meet; and more.Continued ...
- Wednesday, November 27, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/27/2013
Thanksgiving meal; authors support indie book store; senior food drive; and more.Continued ...
- Tuesday, November 26, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/26/2013
"Stop Senior Hunger" food drive; "Share and Learn" party at Grow Benzie; Commission on Aging meets; and more.Continued ...
- Monday, November 25, 2013
Northern Notes: Carrier goes 'above and beyond'
Traverse City resident thanks Record-Eagle carrier for his help.Continued ...
Service News: 11/25/2013
Army National Guard Pvt. Mark Send graduated from basic combat training at Fort Jackson, Columbia, S.C.Continued ...
- Sunday, November 24, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/24/2013
Holiday culinary and art classes; "Jazzy Christmas" concert; Northport welcomes the holiday season; and more.Continued ...
- Saturday, November 23, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/23/2013
Youth roller derby program; Christmas tree sales; St. Andrew Society celebration; and more.Continued ...
Education Newsmakers: 11/23/2013
The following area students graduated from Western Michigan University in the summer of 2013:Continued ...
- Thursday, November 21, 2013
Community in Brief: 11/21/2013
Christmas trees; St. Andrew Society; ‘Share and Learn.’ (Plus more)Continued ...
- Wednesday, November 20, 2013
Community in Brief 11/20/2013
Oryana suggests an organic holiday; Onekama welcomes Christmas season; church service and Thanksgiving potluck; and more.Continued ...
- Monday, November 18, 2013
Community Newsmakers: 11/18/2013
Community newsmaker for 11/18/13Continued ...
Northern Notes: Vets, military receive acts of kindness
Sean Mugerian , a Traverse City resident and a student at Lake Superior State University, also serves with the 182nd reserve unit out of Traverse City. After weekend training recently, he and a fellow soldier, both still in uniform, were joined by thContinued ...
- Community in Brief: 12/07/2013