Traverse City Record-Eagle

Forums

September 26, 2013

Forum: Mich. must not wait for its Sandy Hook

Another mass shooting in the United States. When will it stop?

Every day 33 people die from gun violence in our country and nearly eight of those are children. The Navy Yard massacre is at least the sixth mass shooting since Sandy Hook. Since Newtown, there have been 8,241 media-reported deaths from guns. The CDC estimates 24,580 gun deaths, including suicide.

Michigan must not wait for our own Navy Yard, Sandy Hook, Columbine, Aurora or Virginia Tech. We must unite and work to prevent such a tragedy and stop the daily gun deaths in Detroit, Pontiac, Benton Harbor, Grand Rapids and all communities. In the words of Gabby Giffords: Enough is enough.

I am a mom, grandma, psychologist and person of faith. I must do what I can for gun sense in my community. I cannot be passive in the face of such tragedy.

What to do? Join Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, founded the day after Sandy Hook. Like Mothers Against Drunk Driving was created to stop drunken driving, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America (www.momsdemandaction.org) was created to end the epidemic of gun violence in America.

Moms Demand Action is a nonpartisan, grassroots organization that educates, motivates and mobilizes moms and families to take action for stronger gun laws and policies that save lives. Moms Demand Action supports the 2nd Amendment, while demanding action on common-sense gun reforms from lawmakers at every level, as well as public and private institutions.

We believe this country’s lax gun laws, loopholes and policies have jeopardized the safety of our children and communities for far too long. We must let our state and federal legislators know that we support the following common-sense, evidence-based solutions to help reduce gun violence in the United States:

Text Only

Facebook
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
Associated Press Video
Bill Murray Continues To Be Just Bill Murray By Eating Some Free Bill Murray Ice Cream Deja vu: Another NYPD officer choke-holding a suspect Hillary Clinton Blamed Bill's Affair With Monica Lewinsky On Abuse He Suffered As A Child 'Fifty Shades of Grey': Watch the Super Sexy First Trailer Now! Reports: Ravens RB Ray Rice Suspended For 1st 2 Games Of The Season Chapter Two: Becoming a first-time director Air Algerie plane with 119 on board missing over Mali Diamond Stone, Malik Newman, Josh Jackson and others showcase talent Free Arturo - The World's Saddest Polar Bear A Look Back at Batman On Film Through The Years LeBron James -- Dropped $2k On Cupcake Apology ... Proceeds To Benefit Charity Snoop Dogg Says He Smoked Weed at the White House Raw: Fight Breaks Out in Ukraine Parliament Chris Pratt Interrupts Interview To French Braid Intern's Hair Shirtless Super Mario Balotelli Dances While Ironing - @TheBuzzeronFOX Whoa! Watch "Housewives" Star Do the Unthinkable LeBron apologizes to neighbors with cupcakes Justin Bieber In Calvin Klein Underwear Shoot Samsung Pre-Trolls The IPhone 6 With New Ad Jimmy Kimmel Introduces His Baby Girl