Traverse City Record-Eagle

April 19, 2012

Forum: Join in breast cancer fight

By State Sen. Glenn S. Anderson
----

---- — Nearly a year ago, I introduced a bi-partisan bill that would have an immediate positive impact on the health and welfare of Michigan residents. This legislation would not only change lives, but save lives.

Senate Bill 389, which was co-sponsored by every member of the state Senate, would establish a pink-ribbon license plate in Michigan. This plate would provide funds for breast and cervical cancer screening and treatment, and help remind cancer sufferers and survivors (like my mother) that they are not alone. Further, I have already raised all of the startup costs from private donations, so there is no cost to the state for passing this legislation.

Despite the potential positive impact of this legislation, despite the fact that every member of the Senate has signed their name in support of it, and despite the fact that this plate would have no impact on our state budget, it has yet to be given a vote.

It is past time to take action on this legislation.

To help encourage my colleagues to give the pink plate bill a vote, I am asking the Michigan public to get involved. I ask that women and men across the state of Michigan please send me your stories of how this terrible disease has affected you or your family.

You can email them to me at SenatorAnderson@Senate.Michigan.Gov, with the subject line "Pink Plate Story," or mail them to me at P.O. Box 30036, Lansing, MI 48909.

I will collect all of the stories and see that they are delivered to your state senator on Mother's Day. My hope is that through your personal stories we can motivate the Senate to take action on the pink plate bill.

You have the ability to make a positive impact in the fight against breast and cervical cancer. Send me your story today. I look forward to hearing from you.

For more information and to see my call for action from the Senate floor, please visit www.MIPinkPlate.com.

About the author: State Sen. Glenn S. Anderson, D-Westland, represents the 6th Senate District. Toll-free at: (866) 262-7306; by email at: SenatorAnderson@Senate.Michigan.Gov.

About the forum: The forum is a periodic column of opinion written by Record-Eagle readers in their areas of interest or expertise. Submissions of 500 words or less may be made by emailing letters@record-eagle.com. Please include biographical information and a photo.