Traverse City Record-Eagle

Forums

July 24, 2013

Forum: Do what's right for Kelly Boyce

I read your article about a community touched by the death of this young, loving soul. I never was lucky enough to meet Kelly but felt so drawn to yet another tragic death of a bicyclist. As I visited the accident site, I nearly became physically ill as I looked at the marks on the road where she was struck, then dragged to the point where she was finally free of the vehicle that trapped her. A hit-and-run-away driver, the response of a coward. My tears at this site certainly were not alone as many who knew this lovely, young bride, wept for her and her family.

As an avid biking enthusiast, I took part in a community memorial, like nothing I have ever witnessed. The love swelled within all attending, a perfect, blue sky, light breeze and yes, joy, listening to stories about a young woman many of us never met but were drawn to her just the same. As I joined the hundreds of bicyclists in the processional, I felt pride in a large community, suddenly smaller, embracing one another with renewed respect, slowing down enough in our busy lives to realize how quickly our lives can change.

My own Dad, Jack Evans, age 74, was struck and killed just outside of Bear Lake, riding his bicycle on a clear, crisp, perfect fall day in September 2002, Friday the 13th. He did everything right that day; bright, yellow shirt, orange flag, rode with traffic, a flat, straight surface, on a paved side road near a dear friend’s home. That day, an extremely visually impaired driver made the choice to take back roads to his home, perhaps believing it was “safe” to just use back roads with his comprised vision. Struck from behind, my Dad was killed instantly. The driver traveled another 250 feet before he stopped, walked back to investigate what he hit and found my Dad, crushed bicycle resting near by, crumpled in the tall grass off the road.

Text Only

Facebook
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
Associated Press Video
Bill Murray Continues To Be Just Bill Murray By Eating Some Free Bill Murray Ice Cream Deja vu: Another NYPD officer choke-holding a suspect Hillary Clinton Blamed Bill's Affair With Monica Lewinsky On Abuse He Suffered As A Child 'Fifty Shades of Grey': Watch the Super Sexy First Trailer Now! Reports: Ravens RB Ray Rice Suspended For 1st 2 Games Of The Season Chapter Two: Becoming a first-time director Air Algerie plane with 119 on board missing over Mali Diamond Stone, Malik Newman, Josh Jackson and others showcase talent Free Arturo - The World's Saddest Polar Bear A Look Back at Batman On Film Through The Years LeBron James -- Dropped $2k On Cupcake Apology ... Proceeds To Benefit Charity Snoop Dogg Says He Smoked Weed at the White House Raw: Fight Breaks Out in Ukraine Parliament Chris Pratt Interrupts Interview To French Braid Intern's Hair Shirtless Super Mario Balotelli Dances While Ironing - @TheBuzzeronFOX Whoa! Watch "Housewives" Star Do the Unthinkable LeBron apologizes to neighbors with cupcakes Justin Bieber In Calvin Klein Underwear Shoot Samsung Pre-Trolls The IPhone 6 With New Ad Jimmy Kimmel Introduces His Baby Girl