Traverse City Record-Eagle

Forums

November 8, 2013

Forum: Way for everyone to play on same field

After reading the Oct. 25 editorial about the tricky business of granting access to the Civic Center fields and the championing of local taxpayers rights, I feel compelled to set the record straight on several counts. I am the organizer of the weekend girls’ softball tournaments that are apparently causing the American Legion much consternation.

Our softball organization, made up of local families, has hosted two to three tournaments annually on summer weekends in Traverse City since 2006. Many local teams with dozens of Traverse City area girls participate in our tournaments. I assume players’ families are “taxpayers” and having been a resident of Grand Traverse County for 22 years, I can assure you that I’m not a “newcomer” to the area.

Our tournaments attract dozens of teams and their families and their wallets to the Traverse City area. Last year, 93 teams participated in our three tournaments in which games are played predominantly on Saturdays and Sundays. As the tournaments have grown in popularity, I will often schedule games on Friday afternoons and evenings to accommodate the number of teams that want to play in Traverse City.

Last year, for example, we rented the Civic Center fields on portions of Saturday and Sunday for three weekends when no other organization was using them. Director Jason Jones and the Parks and Recreation staff could not have been more helpful in making our tournaments a success while maximizing revenue to the county by renting an otherwise vacant asset, something that, as a longtime Grand Traverse County taxpayer, I appreciate.

Without getting into the mundane details of tournament operations too much, I can tell you that tournament teams routinely book their summer schedules six to eight months in advance. Under these circumstances, it is impossible for Taxpayer Group A to wait until April or May when Taxpayer Group B has their schedule completed to see if any space remains for Group A to rent for their local families to host a tournament.

Text Only

Facebook
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
Associated Press Video
Big Weekend For Atlanta Braves In Cooperstown - @TheBuzzeronFox Chapter Two: Becoming a first-time director What's Got Jack Black Freaking Out at Comic-Con? Doctors Remove 232 Teeth From Teen's Mouth Bradley Cooper Explains His Voice in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Deja vu: Another NYPD officer choke-holding a suspect 'Fifty Shades of Grey': Watch the Super Sexy First Trailer Now! Reports: Ravens RB Ray Rice Suspended For 1st 2 Games Of The Season Air Algerie plane with 119 on board missing over Mali Diamond Stone, Malik Newman, Josh Jackson and others showcase talent Free Arturo - The World's Saddest Polar Bear A Look Back at Batman On Film Through The Years LeBron James -- Dropped $2k On Cupcake Apology ... Proceeds To Benefit Charity Snoop Dogg Says He Smoked Weed at the White House Raw: Fight Breaks Out in Ukraine Parliament Chris Pratt Interrupts Interview To French Braid Intern's Hair Shirtless Super Mario Balotelli Dances While Ironing - @TheBuzzeronFOX Whoa! Watch "Housewives" Star Do the Unthinkable LeBron apologizes to neighbors with cupcakes Justin Bieber In Calvin Klein Underwear Shoot