1. "River Swimmer" by Jim Harrison, Grove Press, $25
2. "Chickadees at Night" by Bill O. Smith, illustrations by Charles Murphy, Sleepytime Press, $18.95
3. "Prairie Evers" by Ellen Airgood, Nancy Paulsen Books, $15.99
1. "The Paris Wife" by Paula McLain, Ballantine Books, $15
2. "50 Shades Freed" by E.L. James, Vintage, $15.95
3. "Litigators" by John Grisham, Bantam, $9.99
1. "Help, Thanks, Wow" by Anne Lamott, Riverhead, $17.95
2. "Underwater Dogs" by Seth Casteel, Little, Brown & Co., $19.99
3. "8 Hour Diet" by David Zinczenko, Rodale Books, $26.99
1. "7 Habits of Deeply Fulfilled Artists" by Ellie Harold, Clear Light Press, $14.95
2. "Waist Away" by Mary Clifton, Doctor Doctor Press, $14.95
3. "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin, Simon & Schuster, $21
-- Horizon Books
1. "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn, Crown, $25
2. "Flight Behavior" by Barbara Kingsolver, Harper, $28.99
3. "The Round House" by Louise Erdrich, Harper, $27.99
1. "The Paris Wife" by Paula McLain, Ballantine, $15
2. "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel, Mariner, $15.95
3. "Wolf Hall" by Hilary Mantel, Picador, $16
1. "Help, Thanks, Wow" by Anne Lamott, Riverhead, $17.95
2. "The World Until Yesterday: What Can We Learn From Traditional Societies?" by Jared M. Diamond, Viking, $36
3. "Behind the Beautiful Forevers" by Katherine Boo, Random House, $27
1. "Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey Into the Afterlife" by Eben Alexander, M.D., Simon & Schuster, $15.99
2. "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kerns Goodwin, Simon & Schuster, $21
3. "The Swerve," Stephen J. Greenblatt, Norton, $16.95
-- American Booksellers Association
Community in Brief: 07/24/2014
40 Years a Ranger; German Club meeting; Grief workshops. (Plus more)Continued ...
From the Farm: Nothing beats summer beets
Someday I will achieve full kitchen domination. There will always be a sweet and a savory compound butter in the freezer (just in case a friend drops in and craves a crepe), always a balanced three course meal partially prepared and ready to be whipped up.Continued ...
Rowe Inn's wine list tops in region
The Rowe Inn was ranked “Best of Award of Excellence” in Wine Spectator’s 2014 Restaurant Wine List Awards — the only restaurant in northern Michigan to earn the award.Continued ...
Chef/caterer feeds masses at equine festival
Matt Friess doesn’t know much about the horse show world. But he knows that the way to many an equestrian’s heart is through a sweet-and-tangy cherry chicken wrap.Continued ...
Historical Photo of the Week: 07/21/2014
Can any readers identify the young women in this photo?Continued ...
News From 100 Years Ago: 07/21/2014
Dr. and Mrs. J.D. Munson, Mr. and Mrs. H.C. Davis, Mr. and Mrs. C. B. Always and Mrs. and Mrs. G.B. Pike will attend the meeting of the joint board of Michigan State Hospitals at Newberry this week.Continued ...
Northern Notes: Volunteers make homes safer
David Abeel, director of development for Benzie Area Christian Neighbors, wrote to say that the third annual STAMP volunteer program to make homes safer, warmer and drier ran “on all pistons” this year.Continued ...
Community Newsmakers: 07/21/2014
The Traverse Area Association of Realtors board established the Judith Lindenau Leadership Grand Traverse Scholarship to honor its former long-time executive vice president, who died in May.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 07/21/2014
Plant it Wild program; Kingsley Lions.Continued ...
- Sunday, July 20, 2014
The wind kicked a hole in the Irish barn; a gaping chomp that welcomed the elements. No panic — there wasn’t much left inside, just old farm equipment and storage boxes.Continued ...
Down home weddings
Barn weddings are all the rage. Throw “rustic” or “simplicity weddings” into a Google search and the monitor explodes with burlap party favors and Mason-jar cocktails.Continued ...
Loraine Anderson: TC Film Festival rituals
July was only one week old and there I was, sitting at my dining room table engrossed in a now 10-year-old summer ritual.Continued ...
Lifelines: Miles on the mower mark important anniversaries
July contains two big family anniversaries. The first one, I forget the actual day, marks the time I mowed over Great-Grandma’s flowers by accident.Continued ...
Books in Brief: 07/20/2014
Book signings; Ice Caves author.Continued ...
Best Sellers: 07/20/2014
Best-selling books across northwest Michigan and the nation:Continued ...
- Friday, July 18, 2014
You're Needed: 07/19/2014
Volunteers are needed for Harbor Days in Elk Rapids.Continued ...
Blood Drive Calendar: 07/19/2014
Area Blood Drives: American Red Cross —Ellsworth, noon-5:45 p.m., July 22, Ellsworth Community Building, 6520 Center St.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 07/19/2014
Museum garage sale; DAR anniversary; Auditions set. (Plus more)Continued ...
Body & Soul in Brief: 07/19/2014
Ride for Father Fred; Arcadia Daze luncheon; Autism awareness. (Plus more)Continued ...
Education Newsmakers: 07/19/2014
The following local seniors were named Kiwanis Club of Traverse City Students of the Month:Continued ...
Mental Wellness: How the world sees you
I recently took an assessment that focuses on how the world sees me. This gave a unique perspective, unlike other assessments that teach us more about how we see the world.Continued ...
Church thrift shop closes doors
Betty Hammond trolled for treasures in First Congregational Church Thrift Shop first as a daughter. She returned as mother to young, fast-growing kids — the thrift store kept clothes on their backs without breaking the bank, Hammond said.Continued ...
- Thursday, July 17, 2014
Night Life Calendar: 07/18/2014
What's happening after dark in northern Michigan:Continued ...
Movie Capsules: 07/18/2014
New this week — Begin Again: A chance encounter between a disgraced music-business executive and a young singer-songwriter new to Manhattan turns into a promising collaboration between the two talents. Rated R for language. (HOR)Continued ...
Community in Brief: 07/18/2014
Sleeping Bear tours; Garden club open house.Continued ...
- Community in Brief: 07/24/2014