New this week
- The Hobbit- An Unexpected Journey: A curious Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, journeys to the Lonely Mountain with a vigorous group of Dwarves to reclaim a treasure stolen from them by the dragon Smaug. Rated PG-13 for extended sequences of intense fantasy action violence and frightening images. (SB, HOR, GT-9)
- Anna Karenina: Set in late-19th-century Russia high-society, the aristocrat Anna Karenina enters into a life-changing affair with the affluent Count Vronsky. Rated R for some sexuality and violence. (ST)
- Argo: As the Iranian revolution reaches a boiling point, a CIA 'exfiltration' specialist concocts a risky plan to free six Americans who have found shelter at the home of the Canadian ambassador. Rated R for language and some violent images. (HOR)
- Flight: An airline pilot saves a flight from crashing, but an investigation into the malfunctions reveals something troubling. Rated R for drug and alcohol abuse, language, sexuality/nudity and an intense action sequence. (HOR)
- Life of Pi: A young man who survives a disaster at sea is hurtled into an epic journey of adventure and discovery. While cast away, he forms an unexpected connection with another survivor ... a fearsome Bengal tiger. Rated PG for emotional thematic content throughout, and some scary action sequences and peril. (GT-9)
- Lincoln: As the Civil War continues to rage, America's president struggles with continuing carnage on the battlefield and as he fights with many inside his own cabinet on the decision to emancipate the slaves. Rated PG-13 for an intense scene of war violence, some images of carnage and brief strong language. (HOR)
- Playing for Keeps: A former sports star who's fallen on hard times starts coaching his son's soccer team as a way to get his life together. His attempts to become an adult are met with challenges from the attractive soccer moms who pursue him at every turn. Rated PG-13 for some sexual situations, language and a brief intense image. (HOR)
- Red Dawn: A group of teenagers look to save their town from an invasion of North Korean soldiers. Rated PG-13 for sequences of intense war violence and action, and for language. (HOR)
- Rise of the Guardians: When the evil spirit Pitch launches an assault on Earth, the Immortal Guardians team up to protect the innocence of children all around the world. Rated PG for thematic elements and some mildly scary action. (GT-9)
- Skyfall: Bond's loyalty to M is tested as her past comes back to haunt her. As MI6 comes under attack, 007 must track down and destroy the threat, no matter how personal the cost. Rated PG-13 for intense violent sequences throughout, some sexuality, language and smoking. (HOR)
- The Twilight Saga-Breaking Dawn Part 2: After the birth of Renesmee, the Cullens gather other vampire clans in order to protect the child from a false allegation that puts the family in front of the Volturi. Rated PG-13 for sequences of violence including disturbing images, some sensuality and partial nudity. (HOR, GT9)
- Wreck-It Ralph: A video game villain wants to be a hero and sets out to fulfill his dream, but his quest brings havoc to the whole arcade where he lives. Rated PG for some rude humor and mild action/violence. (GAR, GT9, ER)
Information is based on data available at press time from Traverse City area Carmike theaters (GT9, HOR), the State Theatre (ST), the Garden Theatre in Frankfort, (GAR) the Elk Rapids Cinema (ER), Cherry Bowl Drive-In (CB) and The Bay Theatre in Suttons Bay (BAY)
New this week
Liberace exhibit a trove of glittery glam
For years, Las Vegas tourists have had no place to pay their respects to one of the glitzy town’s founding fathers.Continued ...
How Grinchy Met The Who
Imagine “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” meets “Tommy,” sung and spoken entirely in rhyme.Continued ...
Weekend in Brief: 12/06/2013
Christmas parody; Kalkaska Library cookie sale; Glass Mosaic Gallery open house; and more.Continued ...
Night Life Calendar: 12/06/2013
What's happening after dark across northern Michigan:Continued ...
Manistee celebrates season with reopened Vogue, Christmas Weekend
If you’ve never driven the 65 miles southwest to Manistee for the city’s Victorian Sleighbell Parade & Old Christmas Weekend there’s an extra reason to make the trip this year.Continued ...
OTP gets in the spirit with 'Wonderful Life'
Jill Beauchamp has watched the movie, “It’s a Wonderful Life,” every Christmas season since she was young.Continued ...
Mandela film breaks box office records in S. Africa
A movie depicting the life of Nelson Mandela has become South Africa's highest grossing picture after its opening last week, its producers said Thursday.Continued ...
Museum to blind visitors: Touch!
Angel Ayala has never been a big fan of museums. Blind since birth, the high school student says the exhibits are so sight-dependent that he can’t enjoy them.Continued ...
Movie Capsules: 12/06/2013
New this week — All Is Lost: After a collision with a shipping container at sea, a resourceful sailor finds himself, despite all efforts to the contrary, staring his mortality in the face. Rated PG-13 for brief strong language. (GAR)Continued ...
- Friday, November 29, 2013
Betty Who inspires community of fans
Betty Who? Soon you won’t have to ask. In just the past two months the rising pop singer-songwriter and Interlochen transplant performed live on VH1, posed for photos for Elle and Cosmopolitan magazines, made Time Magazine’s list of 14 Musical Acts to Watch in 2014 and signed a five-year deal with mega-label RCA Records.Continued ...
A moment in 'Paradise'
Craig Goodrich isn’t a professional photographer with a fancy DSLR camera. But his photo of a dragonfly on Perch Lake beat out images by more seasoned photographers to capture first place in this year’s Art of the Watershed photo contest.Continued ...
Moonlight owl hike, Wings of Wonder combo is a sellout
No matter what happens on the Full Moon Owl Hike at the Boardman River Nature Center next month, participants will see owls.Continued ...
Weekend in Brief: 11/29/2013
Holiday train display; Benzie Festival of Trees; Holiday Art Fair; and more.Continued ...
- Friday, November 22, 2013
Video: Bijou by the Bay marquee lighting ceremony
Traverse City Film Festival Founder and President Michael Moore leads a ceremony unveiling the Bijou by the Bay movie theater marquee in Traverse City tonight.Continued ...
TC photographer sticks to traditional
Greg Seman is a purist. Seman, an accomplished art photographer, often can be spotted on cold winter mornings taking photos along Grand Traverse Bay by observant commuters as they rush past.Continued ...
TC Central presents 'Guys and Dolls'
Traverse City Central High School’s antiquated auditorium was the biggest challenge to making a student production of “Guys and Dolls” look and sound professional, said the show’s music director.Continued ...
Weekend in Brief: 11/22/2013
Scandinavian Luncheon and Bazaar; holiday country dance; Funk Arts Fest; and more.Continued ...
Movie Capsules: 11/22/2013
New this week — Delivery Man: An affable underachiever finds out he's fathered 533 children through anonymous donations to a fertility clinic 20 years ago.Continued ...
Night Life Calendar: 11/22/2013
Entertainment in the region:Continued ...
- Friday, November 15, 2013
Art of Recovery: A Human Journey
Carolyn Trnka’s photograph, which hangs high on the wall at the far end of the InsideOut Gallery also is a statement that sums up what the current exhibit is about.Continued ...
SwingShift and the Stars
Dan Brady applies the same strong work ethic to dance that he does to his job.Continued ...
Tuvan throat singers' TC debut
The last time Alash toured in the U.S., customs officials at Boston's Logan Airport confiscated and burned their duyuglar and xapchyk, two traditional Tuvan percussion instruments made from animal parts.Continued ...
Weekend in Brief: 11/15/2013
"Guys and Dolls' on stage; holiday book sale; WSH original production; and more.Continued ...
Night Life Calendar: 11/15/2013
Entertainment in the region:Continued ...
Movie Capsules: 11/15/2013
New this week — The Best Man Holiday: When college friends reunite after 15 years over the Christmas holidays, they will discover just how easy it is for long-forgotten rivalries and romances to be ignited. Rated R for language, sexual content and brief nudity. (GT9)Continued ...
- Liberace exhibit a trove of glittery glam