- Dr. Patrick Garland joined the staff of Munson Medical Center specializing in diagnostic/musculoskeletal radiology. He graduated from Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee and completed his residency at the Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals in Milwaukee. He practices with Grand Traverse Radiologists PC in Traverse City.
- Erin Bratschi has been promoted to assistant manager of Northwestern Bank's Garfield office. She joined the bank in 2008 as a personal banker at Northwestern's West Bay branch and has a bachelors degree in business administration from Grand Valley State University.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan will move its Traverse City office from 1769 S. Garfield Ave. into the City Centre Plaza building at the corner of State and Cass streets downtown. The office has 25 employees and the move is expected in early October.
- Kitchen Choreogaphy moved to a new home office and design studio at 420 Division St. in Traverse City, which is Building 79 at the Grand Traverse Commons. Owners Mike and Angela Goodall restored the 3,500 square-foot residence originally built in 1896. A grand opening is planned in September and more information is available on the business' website at http://www.kitchenchoreography.net/
- Short's Brewing Co. launched a $2 million expansion at its production facility in Elk Rapids. The company is installing 16 new 90-barrel fermenters, new mill and grain handling systems, a new packaging area floor and other improvements. It will double the facility's capacity from 16,000 barrels to about 30,000 barrels.
- The Traverse Bay Area Intermediate School District recognized three students from the Career Tech Center who took part in national competitions in the 2011-12 school year. Kingsley High School student Makya Voight, a two-time state champion in marine service technology, placed eighth in the 2012 Skills USA National Competition held last month in Kansas City, Mo. Elk Rapids student Monica Jarvis and Kingsley student Karlee Hintsala also participated in the Family, Career and Community Leaders of America National Conference held this month in Orlando, Fla.