NEW YORK (AP) — Actress Scarlett Johansson gives SodaStream some sex appeal in a controversial spot, Kia revives actor Laurence Fishburne’s “Matrix” character Morpheus in its commercial. And cute puppies and kids abound in ads for Cheerios to Anheuser-Busch.
Advertisers are planning to pull out the tools in their arsenal during Super Bowl time this Sunday, including celebrities, A-list rock bands and cinematic story lines.
Of course, there will still be ad surprises on Sunday with major brands like Chrysler and Coca-Cola staying mum on at least one of their ads. But the ones that are already out use a variety of tactics to draw viewers’ attention.
Here are 10 ads to watch for on Sunday.
1. Anheuser-Busch: The biggest Super Bowl advertiser’s ad in the fourth quarter shows an adorable Golden Labrador becoming enamored with one of the beermaker’s iconic Clydesdales to the tune of “Let Her Go” by Passenger.
2. General Mill’s Cheerios: The cereal maker brings back an interracial family that starred in a prior spot.
3. Bank of America: The bank will promote its partnership with AIDS nonprofit (RED) by having music group U2 sing their new single “Invisible.”
4. SodaStream: The Israeli at-home soda maker company has stirred up controversy on two fronts. Their ad features “Her” actress Scarlett Johansson touting the health and environmental benefits of the soda maker and will run in the fourth quarter.
5. H&M: The clothing maker’s ad in the second quarter features nifty technology that will allow people with some Samsung Smart TVs to order soccer star David Beckham’s Bodywear products with their remote control in real time.