TRAVERSE CITY -- Smoke billowed into the sky along River Road as firefighters struggled for about an hour to extinguish a wildfire in Grand Traverse County.
Emergency responders from several departments were called around 2:45 p.m. today to the fire off of Garfield Road, south of Traverse City. The blaze jumped River Road and scorched the ground, but firefighters quickly doused the flames.
The fire is suspected to have ignited after two teens played with fireworks in a barrel inside a barn, said Pat Parker, Grand Traverse Metro Fire chief.
Flames spread from the barn into the nearby woods. Fire destroyed the barn and its contents, including a tractor.
"By the time I got here, it was already down," Parker said of the barn.
No firefighters were injured.
Weather conditions today -- unseasonably warm temperatures, low humidity and gusty winds -- led federal weather officials to declare a red flag fire warning for Michigan's entire Lower Peninsula and much of both Indiana and Ohio. Firefighters across Michigan remained on standby.