Traverse City Record-Eagle

News From 100 Years Ago

July 4, 2011

News from 100 years ago: 07/04/2011

n While there were accidents and many cases of tetanus reported in today's Fourth of July celebrations, it is notable that the safe and sane movement has had a good effect. Many cities, Traverse City included, directed public attention to a patriotic observance of the day more in keeping with the spirit of the anniversary.

n Manistee is a good entertainer and Traverse City people generally enjoy themselves when they go there. But the discomforts due to inadequate transportation facilities to handle the crowds are being condemned. The train coming from that city last night didn't arrive here until four o'clock this morning bearing a tired and impatient crowd.

n William Yardlay was surprised at his home, 422 State Street, by a few friends Saturday night, the occasion being his sixteenth birthday and his intended departure for Grand Rapids to make his future home. Games were played and light refreshments served during the evening.

n At 11:30 this morning, cottage No. 32 at the asylum was discovered on fire and an alarm was turned in to which the fire department at the institution responded promptly and in a short time, the flames were put out. The fire started on the roof of the building which is an old shingle affair and it is supposed a spark from the smokestack was the cause.

n Rev. Damas Cochlin will deliver the memorial address to the Maccabees of the city in the parlors of the Majestic block, Sunday afternoon at 2:30. All Sir Knights of both tents and ladies are urged to be present. Buses will be provided for all who wish to go to the cemetery for the decoration of the graves immediately after the service.

n A serious accident was narrowly averted last evening when two automobiles and a bicycle had a mix-up in front of the Palace picture place. It was another case where drivers of machines do not keep to their own side of the street and it is a wonder that someone was not seriously hurt in the accident.

n The body of the late James E. Furman, who died at his summer home at Neahtawanta yesterday, was taken in a private car to his Grand Rapids home this morning. The family physician from that city and Mrs. H. A. Mussellman of this city accompanied Mrs. Furman.

n Herbert McClellan, a resident of Springfield, was hurt quite badly last week when, as he was standing under the big barn door, it fell down. A big block happened to be laying there and stopped the door from falling on him and saved his life. He is now laid up for a while.

n Work on the Chautauqua course to be given under the auspices of the Traverse City Board of Trade the last of July is being pushed as rapidly as possible. There are still a number of tickets to be sold and those who contemplate attending are urged to purchase theirs soon.

n The fire department was called out Friday afternoon to attend to a chimney fire at the home of Henry Knapp, corner of Tenth and Oak Streets. The soot in the chimney became ignited and set fire to the wallpaper but the fire was extinguished with little trouble. The damage was slight.

n Some splendid samples of cherries of different varieties have been secured by the development bureau for their preserved fruit exhibit and are being put up in the bureau laboratory in the basement of the old Eagle building. Many of the finest specimens came from the farm of Frank Smith on the peninsula.

n Advice on deportment. Break bread or roll into morsels rather than eating the bread whole.

n Medical advice of a century ago. In acute febrile diseases which have a very short duration, it is not necessary that the patient take food, as his vitality is strong enough to tide him over.

n Best buy of the week. Raincoats, Wash Dresses, Suits, Coats and Shirts, Half Price at The Barney Co.

Text Only