Traverse City Record-Eagle

September 19, 2011

News from 100 Years ago: 09/19/2011

By Emma Jane Muir
----

---- — • The East Shore Woodenware Company's factory, owned by M. A. Knapp, near Benzonia, was completely destroyed by fire at about 10 o'clock Friday night. The fire started in the dry kiln and rapidly spread to the warehouse of the plant.

• Harrison Vinton, employed as a lineman by the Electric Light and Power Co., received a severe shock and serious burn on one hand while at work on a pole Sunday morning. Julius Johnson, in charge of the crew working on the main line about four miles south of the city, reported that Vinton was near the top of the pole and started to cut a live wire. In doing so, he received a strong shock and very bad burns.

• The finest bushel of Duchess apples that the Development Bureau has yet seen this fall were brought in today from the F. M. Jewett farm in Elmwood Township, Leelanau County. They are extra large and are handsomely colored.

• Mrs. J. W. Patchin entertained a small company Wednesday afternoon, complimentary to her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Lucius Patchin. A great deal of amusement was created when the hostess presented each of the guests with chewing gum and requested that they chew the gum and then form an object. Afterward, the efforts were arranged in rows and Miss Grace Caughey, guessing the greatest number correctly, received a prize. A luncheon was served at small tables.

• The house of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Thurtell, 630 West Ninth Street, was the scene of a pretty wedding Thursday, when at high noon, their daughter, Eva, was married to Dr. E. A. Miller of Suttons Bay, Rev.

Demas Cochlin of the First Congregation church, officiating. Yellow and white was the color scheme with a very pretty floral display being made of sweet peas, golden glow and chrysanthemums.

• The residence of Mrs. Emma Rhodes, a resident of Lake Ann, was destroyed by fire yesterday morning, the fire originating from a defective chimney. Mrs. Rhodes rose shortly before five to heat some water and then went back to bed. When she awoke again, she found the house in flames. The house was totally destroyed, the loss being about $800.

• The Misses Daisy and Ida Creasey and friend, Miss Burt, arrived today to spend their vacation at home. They left Grand Rapids Sunday, going to Mackinac Island and coming to Traverse City by boat.

• Mrs. Stella M. Champney entertained the members of the S. B. P. L. D. club and a few friends at her home on Peninsula Road last Thursday evening. The big bonfire on the beach was all ready for the party when they arrived and soon frankfurts, steak and other foods were being roasted over the coals ready for the table. After dinner, a pleasant hour or so was spent in playing games and having a good time.

• Thomas T. McBride of Fremont is in the city on business. He is a brother of Bud Mars, celebrated aviator.

• Baybank is the new name for the hospital formerly known as the Bowhall Hospital, of which Mrs. W. E. Fish is now matron. Mrs. Fish has been at work for some few weeks past getting the building into shape and only completed the improvements today. Mrs. Fish believes that she will be able to give the best of service to the physicians and general public from now on. The house will accommodate eleven people.

• Fred E. Saxton of Detroit, a former Traverse City man, was arrested in Detroit Friday at the request of Sheriff Shuter on a charge of false pretenses preferred by Charles H. Ellis of this city. The case is an old one and grew out of a contract Mr. Ellis furnished Mr. Saxton with $1,500 to run a shingle mill at Elk Rapids. The mill was never built and Mr. Ellis was unable to get back the money advance.

• Advice on deportment. A gentleman may delicately kiss a lady's hand, the forehead or at most, the cheek.

• Medical advice of a century ago. To treat gout, restrict the use of starches and meat.

• Best buy of the week. Ice cream freezer, $1.35 at J. W. Slater.